Skip to main content


The WSIB provides a wide range of benefits and services to injured workers. The benefits can include payments to cover part of your wage loss, as well as coverage for health care costs related to a workplace injury. The WSIB also provides services to assist with returning to work.

What benefits and services can I receive after my injury?

The benefits and services you can receive from the WSIB will depend on the date you were injured.  This section reviews the benefits and services available for workers injured in 1998 or later. If you were injured before 1998, a different version of the law applies to you. For more information, see Injuries Before 1998.

If you were injured on or after January 1, 1998, you may be eligible for the benefits and services described below.

Wages on day of injury

Your employer must pay your usual wages and benefits for the day you were injured.

Loss of earnings benefits (LOE)

The WSIB can pay you 85% of your net earnings loss from the day after your injury until you are no longer impaired, you no longer suffer a wage loss, or the WSIB believes you should no longer be suffering a wage loss.

You can receive LOE benefits until the age of 65, unless you were 63 or older at the time of your injury. If you were age 63 or older, you can receive LOE benefits for up to two years after your accident.

The WSIB may review the amount of your LOE benefits every year, or if there is a material change in circumstances. Usually, the WSIB cannot review your benefits more than 72 months (six years) after your final review, but there are some important exceptions to this general rule.

If you are receiving Canada Pension Plan disability benefits for your work-related injury, the WSIB may reduce your LOE benefits.

Non-economic Loss Awards (NEL)

A non-economic loss (NEL) award is meant to recognize the permanent effect of your workplace injury on your life outside of work. It is based on your degree of permanent impairment.

As of March 30, 2011, the WSIB pays all new NEL awards as a lump sum. Larger NEL awards can be paid monthly if you choose that option within 30 days.

Returning to work

You and your employer must co-operate in your return to work. If you cannot return to your pre-injury job with your employer, the WSIB may assist you in preparing to return to some other type of work with your employer or to re-enter the labour market.


The law may require your employer to offer you re-employment after your injury. Not all employers have this obligation and not all workers qualify. There are also time limits involved. If your employer does not offer to re-employ you after an injury, speak to a qualified representative as soon as possible.

Health care

The WSIB will pay for health care that is necessary and appropriate as a result of your injury. This includes treatment by medical professionals, prescription medication and assistive devices. For serious injuries, this may also include the services of an attendant to assist with your daily living activities, changes to your home to enable you to live independently, or other measures to improve your quality of life.

Employment benefits

If you continue with contributions to your regular employment benefits, such as a dental or pension plan, your employer also must continue to make contributions to these benefits for the first year that you are off work because of your injury.

Retirement benefits

If you are under the age of 64 at the time of your injury and receive LOE benefits for more than 12 consecutive months, you will receive a retirement benefit at age 65. The WSIB pays this benefit from amounts set aside as a percentage of your LOE benefits.

Important Information

This publication contains general information only. It is not legal advice about a particular situation and is not intended to replace advice from a qualified representative. This publication was last updated on the revision date listed below.

February 1, 2013